Sunday, May 03, 2009

DRAMA IN MY COMEDY

My first play goes up this week on May 6th on Off-Off Broadway. Three days from now. Yikes. On my birthday no less. It will be a great day for a number of reasons -- lots of friends and family are coming. It's an amazing birthday gift (from my mother I believe) to have my work produced and all my loved ones there to experience it with me.

We had some drama in the comedy coming to the stage. Two days ago our lead actress became ill and had to back out of the show. Talk about a panic attack! Who could be as good as she was and know the text in only 4 days? My director was cool as a cucumber. No problem. These things happen all the time -- that's why they have understudies. Actors are amazing people -- they live for that edge of the cliff, high-wire act. Not writers. I think we like some stability... but actors go with the flow and the more pressure the better.

We have our first rehearsal with the new actress tonight. She'll be awesome I have a feeling. I'll keep you all posted.

PS -- Just saw the trailer for the new movie "Julie, Julia" starring Amy Adams and Meryl Streep. It was filmed in my neighborhood (Astoria, NY) last summer. And the movie looks like a great one with two terrific actresses. Meryl Streep just keeps getting better if that's possible. Love that woman! And Amy Adams is incredible (she starred with Meryl Streep in DOUBT).

Love the summer movie season!

No comments: