Friday, June 19, 2009

INTERNET OUT

So about a week ago a massive lightning storm hit NYC.  I've never seen a storm so intense, especially since living in the city.  It knocked out my Time Warner Internet service for going on the second week now and I feel like my right arm is missing... I'm writing this from a Starbucks.  Does anyone actually write creatively in Starbucks?  It's so damn noisy between the chairs sliding on the tiled floor... the blender mixing iced drinks... and the music blaring, but hey, it's got great coffee and WiFi service (that you have to pay for, bummer! ).

But, the good news is that I've been writing like a maniac on two projects because of NOT being connected online.  I'm pretty good about a writing schedule, but when the Internet is right at my fingertips it is tempting to take a break and check my emails.  I realize now how much time I spend online (some of it is useful research or communication).   Imagine if the TV cable blew out?  I'd be one prolific gal.

Do you spend a lot of time online when you should be writing your book or script?  Try disconnecting your service (save money) or take a week's break and see what you accomplish. It's painful, I won't lie, but it's amazing how much more you'll accomplish when unplugged.

Gotta go... the guy next to me at Starbucks just slid his wood chair across the floor and it's giving me a headache.   

Until next time.

No comments: