Saturday, August 16, 2008

AUGUST

It's tough to write with the excitement of the Olympics going on this summer. I'm spending more time watching the Games online and on TV than I thought. It's thrilling and motivating when you see these athletes achieve their goals after working so hard for so long. And how heart breaking is it to see someone work their whole life for this one moment -- and it slips away?

I finished the second draft of my play On the Nod. I'm sending it to theater groups in New York and to some companies across the country. The requirements are different for each submission, but overall, it's easier than submitting screenplays to LA producers, etc. Actors and theater directors are hungry for material and welcome writers. It's a wonderful thing.

On a side note, one of my best friends is an aspiring novelist. Her laptop went on the blink. She's a mother of four -- three kids in college -- one still in grade school. She's spending money on her family and life. No money for a new laptop with the winter heating bill right around the corner. She e-mailed me today to tell me how she woke up this morning and went downstairs to make coffee -- her usual routine -- when she spotted a LARGE gift package on the kitchen table. Her husband bought her a brand new laptop. How sweet is that? No wonder they've been married 25 years.

That husband gets the gold medal in my book!

Go USA -- Go World!

1 comment:

petra michelle; Whose role is it anyway? said...

Hi Janet, Am an Olympics junky myself; since I was a child. And it's been captivating, as usual. But, you're right, it's the every day surprises which are just as golden. As a matter of fact, I've got a mini-script posted esp. for the Olympics, entitled "Mt. Olympics." Perhaps you'd enjoy voting! Janet, I have to say, that since I've created this blog, it has made me more productive in my actual writing. It definitely oils the muse. p.s. Much luck in pursuing the theatrical endeavor. Nothing is set in stone, and you must follow your muse.