Friday, June 05, 2009

Summer Reading

I'm reading a book called "TIME to Write" by Kelly L. Stone. I received it as a gift for my birthday (along with one of my favorite books "Bird by Bird" by Anne Lamott). Time to Write is an easy read about following your writing bliss. It's a gentle kick-in-the-pants book for writers on how to block out time to write (no matter your job or responsibilities). Prolific authors tell about their daily process, what gets them to the desk to write, and how to keep that mojo going.

I love reading about writing (whether screenwriting, playwriting or fiction writing). Writing is writing, no matter the platform you choose to do it in -- it's daunting, insane and wonderful to be a writer. This book basically says to keep a schedule (like you do with working out at the gym or at home). If you train your brain to write, every day, it will not be such a big deal to face another blank page the next day.

If you haven't read "Bird by Bird" pick yourself up a copy. It's not only funny, but heartwarming and inspiring. Anne Lamott tells how as a kid her brother had procrastinated on writing a book report about birds. It was due the next day and he was sweating bullets knowing how massive the report would be to tackle. Anne's father told him to just take it "bird by bird". I try to live by that philosophy in all areas of my life -- whenever I feel overwhelmed -- I think of Anne's book and advice to take it step by step, scene by scene, chapter by chapter, script by script... you can apply it to your own life too. It's amazing how much you can get done if you set small goals each and every day.

So stop reading this already and go do what you need to do for today -- bird by bird.

Until next time.

No comments: