Sunday, June 08, 2008

Sex and the Box Office

Well, it's a relief to know that "Sex and the City" is a box office hit. As a screenwriter, a woman screenwriter, we know how hard it is to get producers and studios interested in stories about women -- especially women over the age of 30. Unless it's an action piece starring Jodie Foster or Angelina Jolie (and I love those actresses and their movies), it's a struggle to convince Hollywood execs that movies about women will sell.

Carrie Bradshaw and her girlfriends proved them all wrong. Will the recent success of "Juno", "Baba Mama" and "SATC" open up more doors for movies starring women? There is an audience there. I saw "SATC" in Phoenix on its opening week and saw gaggles of women attending. I saw it in Times Square in NYC a week later (with three of my girlfriends) and the theater was packed. Sold out. Pass the Goobers.

So all you women writers, don't get discouraged if you're script is about female characters. Keep fighting. Don't quit. Write your hearts out. Tell your stories.

A movie about four terrific women living in NYC out performed all expectations in Hollywood. A $55 million dollar opening weekend. Great box office.

Now if we could only get a woman into the oval office.

A girl can dream.

5 comments:

Mona said...

cute post, janet!!! i wasn't sure if you were going to bash the movie or rave about it. still haven't seen it yet, kinda putting it off because don't feel like dealing with the mob scene...

and you got a play finished?! my word i'm so out of the loop...

sounds like all's well! -m

Janet said...

Hi Monica!!

How goes it? Hope all is well with you. Are you still visiting restaurants throughout the city? Did you see SATC yet? Have a great summer!!!

J-

What said...

What do you do for a living as a day job?

Janet said...

Scrappy,

Just saw this post -- sorry for delay in answering.

My day job is actually an overnight job -- 3 days a week -- I'm a freelance editor in broadcast news. Pays the bills and gives me plenty of time to write.

I also produce a really fun Internet talk show called "The Alcove with Mark Molaro". Check us out at:

www.youtube.com/markmolaro

What said...

It pays the bills??? How did you manage to get a job like that? I've been really struggling because I don't want to be a secretary and I can't find a day job suitable for my writing.